Monday, May 5, 2008

Smiles...And Beds...

What is it about that gummy smile that just makes you feel warm all over and want to cry at the same time? S has started to smile at me (finally). She has been smiling at Scott since she was 5 weeks old. My dad says there is just something between a little girl and her daddy, get used to it. It is wonderful to see the relationship between them but I wanted smiles too.

Well I got my wish. S started to smile at me last Wednesday night. Not the gas-it-could-have-been-a-real-smile smile. This started in her eyes, you can see them start to light up then she raises one cheek slightly and then she just let's it all out. She smiles with her entire face like she has a secret and isn't going to tell me. Her smiles make me feel so incredibly happy. It makes you feel that warmth of taking a deep breath in the spring with the fragrance of flowers filling your lungs.

People say how can someone who has held a newborn not believe in God. Those people must work hard not to. I feel more love around me with her here. J has more love and so do Scott and I. As cliche as it sounds I feel like we are complete. We fill the bed. There is a snuggle place for each of us in our bed. That is one of the fond memories I have as a child. If I ever felt bad, sick or just emotional (I am a cryer!) I always felt safe in my parents bed. J told me this morning that he is not scared in my bed. Now for a four year old that can just mean that he wants something but I don't think so. I think that was his way of explaining to me that he feels safe when we are with him. We have a ritual every morning. J comes and climbs into our bed and snuggles with me. It may be for a couple of seconds before he announces that he needs breakfast. Sometimes it is longer when he wants to talk about his dreams. And sometimes he falls back asleep. It is amazing to look across the bed and see my men asleep. They look so much a like. And now we are set with S filling in the space that needed filling. We have filled our bed...


“A smile starts on the lips, A grin spreads to the eyes, A chuckle comes from the belly; But a good laugh bursts forth from the soul, Overflows, and bubbles all around”
~ Carolyn Birmingham

1 comment:

Janette said...

Kristy, this is so sweet! :) I love it...very poetic. I can't wait to know what you mean!