Friday, September 11, 2009

The crazy adventures through a Tonsillectomy...

When I finally gave in to having my tonsils out, I started internet scare-search. What is scare-search you say? It is where you look up conditions on the internet and scare yourself from what other write. I found 1 detailed blog on tonsillectomies. I found MANY message boards though. So I vowed to write on my blog about each day of my recovery from my tonsillectomy.

Day 1: Dooms-Day

My appointment was schedule for 7:30 am, please be at the hospital by 5:30. Ok easy enough, then the day before I keep getting calls telling me later and later times. My final arrival time became 9:00 am and surgery would be at 11:00am.

Scott and I take J to school and drop S off with Emily. (I am very blessed to have family to help me during these times!)

We arrive at the hospital and wait for the final registration. It is funny how our doctors office said they hospital would bill us yet when we make it there the patient rep forcefully asked us for our payment in full. When I told her that I wouldn't be able to make the fully payment today, she gave me the whatever-you-are-a-loser-who-can-not-pay stare. She then said she could split it into three payments. Ok, we settled on that. Then I ask her what happened to the people who couldn't pay that much when they come it. And in the nicest I'm-already-swiping-your-debit-card type way she said, "Oh then we just bill the person and they can pay later!" OUCH!

After I was duped into paying my third before my insurance negotiated rate I was called back to pre-op. Standard procedures, put this little tiny cloth on that ties in the back. The only problem with that is that my arms don't work backwards and I couldn't tie it. Then I had to pee in the cup, to make sure I wasn't pregnant. I told my nurse if I was, then I would be getting a refund on a very painful procedure!

My nurse told me that she would bring my husband back there to wait with me. So by the time Scott gets back there, they are calling me up to go to the room. Scott didn't have to wait alone though, his dad came to sit with him. Have I mentioned how awesome my parents and in-laws are?

Due to a lack of bedding, I am taken to a bed in the post-op recovery room. This is NOT the place you want to be PRE-op. I heard more than my fair share of growning and pain. Yes, this is the place to make someone wait for 30 minutes. It really helped me get pumped for surgery!

My doctor came to visit a couple of times, then the anesthesiogist came in and introduced himself. My surgery nurse came in and said it was time. By this time my nerves were jumping out of my skin. All I remember is reading on the internet about the pain people were in afterwards. How unbearable and horrible it was. Then I remembered, wait I have to get an IV first, I hate iv's.

Now I am wheeled into O.R. 1 and asked to move over to the smaller table. Freezing cold room, I tell you! Anesthesiologist started my iv, which wasn't bad, he was pretty good at it then I looked over at my nurse and saw there were two of her. Then looked up at the nice pretty lights that had also double in number.

Then....

I woke up in recovery asking for water. I hadn't opened my eyes yet, I just knew I was sitting somewhat up and I was asking for water. So my post-op nurse gave me a small glass of water, which was not unbearable. I just felt like I had a sore throat. And compared to my strep that I have had really wasn't worse than that. I then opened my eye. Yes, I said eye. For some reason I could only open one at a time. I heard my nurse tell me that I woke up "right" after surgery. I didn't remember a thing! I know that you don't but for some reason in the back of my head I think I might not get put under the right way. Yea, I know too many movies.

So I was moved downstairs in to the recovery room. I asked for some more water and my new nurse asked if I wanted a popsicle. YES! Then she asked if orange was ok. Um, I am not picky, just give me something cold. But I didn't say it like that :) So had a popsicle which was great, then a little water, then another popsicle. I woke up feeling very thirsty. She also gave me some liquid medicine. It was not bad at all. I was nervous about going home to pills but at the time I didn't care. ( I think that is why they dope you up before leaving) Then she asked if I needed to go to the bathroom. I said no. She said, you have to go to the bathroom before you go home. I told her she should have lead with that. I got up, not dizzy or queezzy at all. Did my business and was told I could get dressed and go.

The ride home was hot. It was rather a warm day. We arrived home at around 2pm. I had everything ready so I climbed into my chair with my ice packs loosely around my neck. Scott went to go fill my perscriptions and pick up the kiddos.

My throat felt like there was something in the back of it but didn't hurst too bad. I didn't not expect to not be able to breathe out of my nose though. I don't remember that being said in any blogs. Scott later told me when my doctor came out to see him that she said I might be in slightly more pain that other patients because they were HUGE. He said she got very animated trying to explain how big they were. She also told him how they were putting pressure on my vulva so that would be more swollen that if they weren't so big.

The kids got home, J ran over to hug my arm. That boy is very considerate. S went straight to a nap. I was told he had fun at school. I am glad.

Later that evening I had some popsicles and then I had some very cooled down potato soup, made from instant flakes. It was very good! I kept drinking my water. My pills aren't hard to take as long as I just let the water flow.

Swallowing feels odd, but nothing worse that a sore throat. I am going to keep the ice packs around my neck until I feel I should take them off, which my doctor said about 2 days would be fine, but just stay comfortable.

Scott and I slept downstairs, closer to the ice and reclining chairs. I read somewhere that you shouldn't lay flat for the first two days. We woke up every 4 fours for medicine and every 2 hours to drink some fluids. I will not let myself get dehydrated. Apparently that is bad and I would rather not know how it feels!

I would say Day I was a success!

No comments: