Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Magic of Yellow Onions

Easter.
This is my favorite time of year. Things become new, spring flowers and the sun comes out again. Such dramatic sights of resurrection. What was old becomes new and light brings out the flowers.

So this Easter I decided to make traditionally colored eggs for our Armenian celebration on Saturday night. I usually dye my eggs red, for many reasons. (Red symbolizes the blood shed on the cross) This year I decided to try the 'old fashioned' way. Meaning all food coloring and little dye pellets stayed away from my kitchen. (Well, they were tucked away in case this turned out horribly wrong)

So we start with YELLOW onions. Yes, yellow. I was skeptical, hence the tucked away Paas pellets.




Next you simply peel the onion skin off.



Add 4 1/2 cups of water to a pot.  The reciped called for stainless steel pots but I didn't have one, make due.


Two tablespoons of white vinegar into the pot of water.



add the onion skins to the pot, bring to a boil, then redue heat to a simmer for 30 minutes.
Then strain the onion skins out of the dye.


Insert eggs into the dye. Now I think I should have added more water because my dye did not cover the eggs. I added water at this time.


Bring eggs to a boil. then reduce heat and let sit in pot for 15 minutes. (just like normal boiling eggs)

If the color has not set to your liking leave in water until it reaches room temperature. After reaching room temperature set the pan in the fridge until desired color has been met.



This is what your final result will look like. I did expect a deeper red. Now I only used 6 skins and the recipe called for 15. (since this was just an experiment I figured 6 would be fine)

I also rubbed some olive oil on them to make them shine.


Here is S playing with her Papa. She really got into it this year.



J and Dad playing eggs.

Happy Easter!

No comments: